« Home | A few more gym rants.....things I saw this morning... » | Questions from yesterday: Muscle Imbalances/tightn... » | Some questions from yesterday...... » | Training for overal fitness... » | Aerobics Class Rant » | Wow!! This is just wrong!! » | Getting on Track With Your Eating. » | Continuing with yesterday's theme » | Ever Watch Trainers Train? »

Supplements......Just as the name suggests

Why are people so quick to jump on the supplement band wagon? The other day I was in Vitamin Shoppe getting my whey protein. There was a kid in there with his mother. He had to have been about 15 or 16 years old and maybe 155lbs soaking wet. He is telling his mom how he needs to find the protein powder that has 60g of protein per serving and he has to get some muscle tech as well. Immediatly I think "I wonder what this kids diet is like? I wonder how long he has been training and what his training program looks like?" The whole point of a supplement is that it SUPPLEMENTS your already healthy lifestyle. It doesn't take the place of anything. It isn't magic and chances are if you aren't eating enough calories and intaking the proper foods, you aren't going to get to your goal and you are just wasting your money.

The other thing that was going through my head when the kid was then talking about how he needed to get creatine was "I wonder if this kid even knows what creatine is? What it does? Why you would take it?" People are funny like that. They ask me what my opinion of a supplement they are taking is and I always say "well, what does it do for you? How does it work?" The usually don't have a clue. It just seems like common sense to me. Why would you put anything in your body that you are unsure about what it is, what it does or how it works (if it even works at all)?

Food first. Learn to eat healthy. Learn to plan your meals and set up a proper diet. Once you get your diet under control and you are consistent with your food intake and once you have your training under control and it is consistent, then look to adding supplements.

Remeber, the purpose of them is in the title...SUPPLEMENTs

-Patrick