« Home | Forming Opinion » | Patience: Good Things Come To Those Who Wait » | Making It Work: Not every Situation Is Perfect » | Olympic Lifts vs. Olympic Pulls?? » | Need a football workout! » | S-P-E-E-D » | Marathon Preparation Training In AZ and the Treadmill » | Should I be using the olympic lifts with my athletes? » | Squat ROM » | Bigger, Faster, Strong question... »

Another Weekend; Another Continuing Education Course

I am a continuing education junkie. I easily spend over $1000 every year on continuing education (seminars, courses, classes, books, etc.). I am really of the mind that in order to be good at what you do, you have to constantly keep on learning and gaining knowledge. As stated in the course this weekend “The more we know. The less we find we know.”

This weekend, I had the pleasure of seeing a continuing education course given by the Arizona Diamondbacks strength and conditioning staff. It was the head strength coach, the head athletic trainer, the team licensed massage therapist, the team chiropractor and massage guru Sandy Fritz. The seminar was excellent! I place it up there as one of the best seminars I have ever attended. The idea behind the seminar was to allow the attendees a glimpse into the multidisciplinary approach to team training and rehabilitation. They talked about everything from player assessment, training, and chiropractic to the soft tissue work they do with the athletes. They are REALLY big on soft tissue work and discussed how they use it with the players. It was great to attend a seminar like this when the speakers are so generous with the information they give about their program. If they do this seminar again, I highly suggest everyone go and check it out. You won’t be disappointed.

In other news, I am still super busy working on my massage therapy license. I have learned a ton over the past few weeks about soft tissue work and I am really enjoying myself. Knowing how to do this stuff is extremely important and I encourage all trainers to find a good program and enroll.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

Study as much as you can,
Patrick