« Home | Are stupid coaches blowing up your athletes? » | More Weight On The Bar Does Not Always Equaly Bett... » | Treating People as Individuals » | 2008 Goal Setting » | My current training outline » | Which shoe do you like? » | Happy Holidays!! » | Hypertrophy Rep Range? » | How Much Is Too Much? » | Another Weekend; Another Continuing Education Course »

You Can't Handle The Truth

That phrase goes through my head whenever I am talking to people about training or diet.

This weekend I got word that two great trainers where thinking about getting out of the industry. They were hanging it up. Their reason for this was that they just can’t stand working with general population clients anymore. They are sick and tired of going over diet and training with people; only to have those people perform about 10% of their recommendations and then complain that they are only getting 10% results (you get what you put into it people). I mean seriously, what a waste of time!

I feel their pain. I honestly do not like working with general population clients at all, because they just don’t get it. They don’t have what it takes to put in the necessary work to reach their goals (if they even have concrete goals at all). More importantly, they want instant gratification, without ever working for anything. They want to lose weight, be more fit, and look better without working for it. They complain about how hard it is to eat healthy or how they don’t have enough time to exercise. They come in and train with you 1-2x’s a week and expect to see miracle results (I mean honestly, 2x’s a week of training is maintenance at best). And worst of all, if you tell them the truth, they think you are a jerk or they get angry with you. THEY CAN”T HANDLE THE TRUTH.

I don’t understand why it is so hard for people to set a specific goal and then come in and say, “This is what I want to do. You are the expert; tell me how I can do it.” My only guess is that these people don’t really want to put in the hard work and effort it takes to be in shape. They make every excuse and then, they believe that somehow, it is your fault that they can’t lose weight. If you work with someone 2 hours a week and they aren’t willing to do what you say on the other days and help you help them, then how the heck do they ever expect things to change?

One of the main reasons athletes are so fun to work with is because they come in with a specific, concrete goal. They have a time frame in mind and they are willing to do what it takes to get there. They know what they want and you just have to help them get it.

“I have 12 weeks to get ready for spring training. What do I have to do?”

That is a heck of a lot different than,

“I want to lose weight and look good for my cruise in 4 weeks. I can train 2x’s a week with you but I don’t have time to train any more than that. I can’t eat healthy because I don’t have time to cook healthy food and I have to go out to eat for lunch everyday with my co-workers.”

What the heck am I supposed to say to that? “Okay, well let’s do the best we can?” I mean honestly, I would rather say “Never going to happen. You are 50lbs over-fat, you have no interest in putting in the work to get your goal and that goal is not going to be achieved in 4 weeks. It took you 10 years to become a disgusting slob; you can’t fix it in 4 weeks.”

If you are a trainer working with general population clients, I know what you are going through. If you are a general population client who is wasting someone’s time (and wasting your own money), then seriously re-evaluate your goals and what you are willing to do to get there. Otherwise, suck it up, don’t complain, and accept the truth that you are overweight and out of shape and things are not going to get better. I am at the point where I would rather have no money, than take on those lazy clients and baby-sit.

Patrick

I really do wonder what would happen if they did hear the truth? I wonder if these very same people have walked through life without people being straight up honest with them. Their families and friends have made excuses for them or felt bad for saying soemthing. Maybe we are all at fault here for being too gentle, too politically correct, and too damn unhonest with them.
I can promise you this, the way these individuals go after their "fitness" goals is the exact same way they go after every damn goal in their life. The way you do anything is the way you do everything!
So what would happen if we told "miss insanely obese twenty something year old" the TRUTH? Tell her that the reason she has never had a boyfriend, doesn't get dates and quality of life is horrible stems greatly from the fact that she looks the way she does. Asthetics aside for a moment, being so damn out of shape, she definitely can't feel good physcially nor perform well at work or at play.
Bottom line is that they are not ready for it! They are not ready to do whatever it takes to make it happen. Even in the face if triple bypass, diabetes, divorce, embarrassment, shame, etc. some still just aren't ready to make the change.
Looks like im going to have to start cutting coupons.

It's a damn shame is what it is - I wish I had that kind of money where I could afford to train with a good trainer.

Obviously I do what I can thanks to IM forums, but it's still nothing compared to what I could be doing with someone who does it for a living.

Post a Comment