« Home | New Website!! » | Saturday 11/29/08 - News » | Neuromuscular Therapy for the Cranium and Cervical... » | Thursday 11/20/08 – Notes » | Some Things Never Change » | Friday 11/14/08 – Notes » | Soft Tissue Self Care » | Warming Up For A Run » | Sports Massage » | Massage Case Study »

A big THANKS and a follow up question to the NMT-course I took

Just wanted to thank everyone who has joined the forum so far. I think it is going to be a really amazing resource for athletes, coaches, trainers, and general population individuals. I plan on putting together a few articles to post on the forum about some of the ideas I have on training and some of the templates I have used in the past.

As a bonus, for the month of december you can join as a premium member for $15 (regularly it is $20/month) to try it out (the rate goes back up to the normal $20 in january) and get some program design assistance and online coaching. The other option is that you can pay for the year for $150 (regularly $200) in the month of december only. These are two generous deals we are offering for the holiday season so act now!

NMT-course Question
what did you think about the whole leptin portion of the lecture? Truth be told, I am nonplussed. While leptin may be the key to every illness known to man, in my state it has nothing to do with massage therapy, - it's out of scope for us. I've taken 2 of Judy's workshops, and I would've appreciated more palpation/assessment stuff, and less leptin.

-Joe

Hello Joe, thanks for reading the blog and asking the question. Personally, I loved the leptin portion of the lecture! However, my general staudy interests center around exercise science and physiology (I am a big nerd!) so leptin is something that I have read a pretty good deal about over the past several years.

I understand what you are saying about it being "out of the scope of practice" for a massage therapist. Judy was pretty adamant about the fact that we NEED to operate within our scope of practice but we also need to understand when to refer out. As she said in her lecture, "if you are doing everything right, and you are not seeing some dramatic results in 4-5 visits, it is time to consider other options." She was also very specific about thinking globally when assessing clients. Don't just think - "shoulder hurts so it must be the shoulder" - you need to look for the why's. Sometimes those why's are in the form of postural issues in other areas besides the shoulder, sometimes those why's are in issues with trigger points, sometimes those why's may be in referral patters from organs and sometimes those why's can be due to dietary and hormonal problems/considerations.

Being able to think critically when assessing your clients is something that sets a great therapist apart from an average one. Unfortunately for me, the two areas of I have choosen to work in - personal training and massage therapy - are over populuated with people who drag the profession(s) down because they don't advance their education enough to understand the science behind what they are doing. This is one of the reasons why trainers and massage therapists get looked down upon in the world of allied health professionals. Just because I am a personal trainer or a massage therapist does not give me a free pass to be uninformed or uneducated! The more knowledge I have, the better results I can get with my clients AND the better understanding I have of their situation to know when to refer out to other health care professionals becauseI can't give them what they need. In addition, I can speak to those professionals on a scientific level, which helps to progress our profession forward and become more accepted in the medical community.

Even though things are out of our scope of pracitce, it doesn't mean that we shouldn't study them, learn about them, and be prepared to deal with them when they show themselves in our treatment rooms. I appreciate what Judith Delany is trying to do for the massage community and I hope that others like her continue to help raise the bar of what is expected from massage therapists.

Patrick
http://optimumsportsperformance.com/forum/
http://www.optimumsportsperformance.com/site/index.htm
http://pwtraining.blogspot.com/